Fitch’s Bridge over the Nashua River, in the Town of Groton, MA, was built in 1898 by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company (Berlin, CT) and was shipped to its current location. The 126 foot long double-intersection Warren Truss bridge was used by pedestrians and vehicles for over 65 years until it was closed to traffic in the mid 1960’s due to heavy deterioration.
E.T.& L. Corp. was contracted by the Town of Groton to demolish the existing bridge and install a new pre-fabricated steel truss bridge to be used exclusively for bike, equestrian and pedestrian traffic. Work inclusive to the existing bridge demolition and new bridge installation includes low-pressure grout injection into the existing dry stack stone masonry abutments, storm water runoff plunge pool installation, and wood guardrail/ granite bollard installation. E.T.& L. removed and demolished the existing bridge in late April, the new bridge was installed in June 2013 and the project completed before the 4th of July.